Are you a skilled and convincing wordsmith who enjoys knowing the ins and outs of the city — from where to take in the most breathtaking views or score the best meals and deals to knowing the who’s-who behind making a neighborhood thrive? Driven to understand what drives an array of public policy issues? Then this opportunity at the Alliance for Downtown New York will interest you.
For more than 20 years, the Downtown Alliance (downtownny.com) has been Lower Manhattan’s Business Improvement District — covering the area south of Chambers Street river to river. From keeping the streets clean and safe, to supporting local business and inspiring visitors, our mission is to make Lower Manhattan a thriving and inviting place. We’re seeking an energetic and prolific writer/editor who will immerse themselves in the goings-on of the area and be excited to share what they find with the communities we serve, and construct compelling opinion pieces.
Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President of Communications and Marketing and working daily with the department’s Vice President and other members of the comms team and the President’s office, this writer/editor will endeavor to raise the visibility of the Downtown Alliance, maintain the organization’s reputation as a thought leader in areas of service, advocacy, research and information, and contribute to branding Lower Manhattan as a commercial, residential and tourism location of choice.
- Pitch and write blog posts, write and manage our newsletters, produce guides, speeches, op-eds, talking points, memos, letters, and a wide variety of print and digital copy to effectively communicate the Alliance’s message to a variety of constituencies under the direction of the senior communications staff.
- Research public affairs/policy topics.
- Edit real estate market reports.
- Participate as a member of the Alliance’s content team
- Provide general support for interdepartmental efforts.
- Oversee production and project management of the Alliance’s annual report.
- Oversee copy for The Alliance’s Shop/Dine Guide
- Author the Alliance’s internal monthly newsletter
- Proofread and copy-edit work of colleagues and contributors.
- Fast, accurate and sophisticated writing with a compelling and entertaining writing style.
- Self starter with deadline sensitivity
- Rigorous editing skills
- 4 plus years of work relevant work experience in journalism, government, politics or agency related work
- A collaborative approach to final work
- A sharp sense of humor
- An understanding of New York CIty government and land use and a wide variety of public issues including resilience, economic development and the arts.
- Enthusiasm for building and maintaining positive relationships with policy makers, external stakeholders and local businesses
- Strong eye for design
- Familiarity with CoSchedule, Campaign Monitor, WordPress, Drupal, G Suite, Salesforce, Form Assembly, Paragraphs
- Some experience working on the back end of websites helpful
- An abiding passion for New York City
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and case studies/writing samples to Andrew Breslau, [email protected]
The Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc. offers a very competitive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, 401k plan, commuter benefit, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition assistance, paid time off, and Citibike membership. Salary range is $80,000 to $90,000, commensurate with experience.
The Alliance for Downtown New York is an equal opportunity employer. For more information about the scope of our work, please consult www.downtownny.com.