Downtown Alliance Develops Five New Walking Tours in Lower Manhattan
The Alliance for Downtown New York, the nonprofit managing Lower Manhattan’s business improvement district, has helped develop five new walking tours through its Walking Tour Incubator Grant Program. The walking tours were chosen as winners following an application process that encouraged submissions of compelling and original tour concepts that went beyond the typical downtown highlights.
The five entrepreneurs leading the tours have undergone a rigorous two-month incubator, led by the Downtown Alliance, which included one-on-one coaching from tourism industry leaders and a cutting-edge educational curriculum designed for tour businesses. Each winner has also received a grant of up to $12,500 to help develop, launch and scale their walking tour.
“Pack your walking shoes on your next visit downtown because these new tours will make the perfect addition to any Lower Manhattan itinerary. There’s something for everyone, with each offering a fresh perspective on the neighborhood,” said Jessica Lappin, President of the Alliance for Downtown New York. “As we’re in the midst of a busy tourist season in the neighborhood, these new tours are launching at an ideal time.”
Descriptions of the walking tours:
- Downtown LGBTQ+ Activism Walking Tour by Christopher Street Tours: visits historic sites that shaped the LGBTQ+ Rights Movement, including spots where pivotal protests were ignited and lead activists fought for justice.
- Sinister Secrets of the Seaport by the South Street Seaport Museum: takes visitors on a twisting journey through the Seaport, unraveling scandalous stories ripped from the headlines and publications from the 1790s to the 1990s.
- Escape to New York – Stories of Faith, Freedom and Fortune by Vivace Tours: brings visitors through the history of Lower Manhattan, from New Amsterdam to today, by showing what makes New York City such a unique enclave of people from around the world seeking both religious freedom and fortune.
- How To Be A New Yorker: Downtown Edition by Awesome Walks: an interactive, immersive audio group walking tour where participants will meet business owners and community leaders, thinkers and doers, and get to see the city through their eyes.
- Culinary Master Dining Experience & NYC Afternoon Culinary Adventure by Inside Out Tours: Two tours — Culinary Masters is a progressive meal journey featuring three renowned chefs and restaurants; the Culinary Adventure is a mouthwatering tasting tour across Lower Manhattan led by expert guides.
For more information about the program, the tours and how to book them, please visit: https://downtownny.com/incubator/