GAME ON! Summer Long Programming at 7 Water Street Locations Kicks off June 26th and Runs Through Labor Day
Cornhole, Foosball, Mini-Golf, Nok Hockey, Connect Four, Chalk Games and More!
“Game” Activities to Run Alongside World Cup Viewings,an “Urban Beach,”
Beer Gardens and a Curated, Temporary Food Truck Series at Old Slip Park
Stay Connected as You Get Your Game On!
Water Street and East River Esplanade Free Wifi Corridor Up and Running
The Downtown Alliance is launching a summer series of programs at seven locations along Water Street, from Whitehall Street to Wall Street, beginning June 26th and lasting through Labor Day.
At the same time the Alliance is thrilled to announce the completion of a huge expansion of its free Wi-Fi system that now will largely blanket the entire Water Street corridor from Fulton Street to the Battery along with the East River Esplanade.
The programming series is entitled Game On!, and will present a variety of games and activities in Water Street’s public spaces. The goal of the programs is to activate these spaces to encourage the nearby commercial and residential tenant populations to utilize these areas in new, lively and fun ways. Everything from Nok Hockey and Foosball tables, giant Connect Four games, Battleship board games, traditional chalk games like hopscotch, shuffleboard and mini golf will be available.
“Water Street is where to go to get your Game On! this summer,’ said Jessica Lappin President of the Alliance for Downtown New York. “It’s time to get out on Water Street and take part in an array of participatory, outdoor activities, enjoy the water breezes, get some sand between your toes, sample some outstanding food and drink, watch the World Cup heat up or practice your putting stroke.”
The program was conceived of and sponsored by the Alliance for Downtown New York with support from the New York City Economic Development Corporation and creative contributions from HR&A, Auster Agency, and 3×3 Design.
Go to www.downtownny.com/gameon for the latest up to date information on the program.
Game activities run Monday through Friday Noon until 7pm unless otherwise noted.
The locations and activities:
• Water/Whitehall Plaza will be turned into an urban beach with lounge chairs and a game of shuffleboard. The beach will be designed by Joanna Pertz Landscape Architecture.
• Coenties Slip Park and Plaza will have a beer garden operated by Zigolini’s and six corn hole games. A “Night Market” featuring farm fresh produce, music and food from local restaurants, presented in partnership with GrowNYC, will return to the Slip on July 17th.
• Elevated Acre (55 Water) will feature a unique 3 hole mini golf range designed by the famed Situ Studio.
• Old Slip Park will have additional tables and chairs set up along with nok hockey tables and Battleship board games. There will also be a set of temporary food trucks on location, Monday through Friday, 11am through 4pm. Rotating through the summer will be some of the city’s most beloved mobile food purveyors including:
Van Leeuwen Ice Cream, Del's Frozen Lemonade , Korilla BBQ, Asia Dog, Cool Haus, Kimchi Taco Truck and Wings and Dinges
• The Andaz (75 Wall) will host a beer garden with outdoor World Cup viewing on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. There will also be additional public seating and foosball tables for lovers of the “world’s game” and others.
• Gouverneur Lane Plaza will have two giant Connect Four games.
• Mannahatta Park will be home to a variety of chalk games and chalk art.
Stay Connected as You Play
The Alliance is also proud to announce the completion of a significant expansion of its free public WiFi program. Partnering with the City’s Economic Development Corporation and enjoying the sponsorship support of Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP, the Alliance’s network now covers almost all of Water Street and the East River Esplanade. This expansion more than doubles the free internet access in the neighborhood, providing coverage to over 1.34 million square feet.
Sign on at #DwntwnAllianceFreeWiFi
Both the Game On! series of events and the free Wifi Corridor are reflective of the Alliance’s ongoing commitment to bring new life and possibility to Water Street. To view the Alliance’s 2010 plan for reimagining Water Street go to: